Why consider installing decorative garage door hardware?
Adding decorative garage door hardware is an easy process, but can make a big impact. It can instantly improve your curb appeal, increase the value of your property, and also can be a factor in resale value for your home.
There aren't many things you can do in about 15 minutes, that will make your property feel as updated, and polished.
What should you consider before installing garage door hardware on your home?
1) Consider your overall aesthetic.
You want your garage doors to blend and match the overall exterior feel of your home, along with complementing your front door. Many garage doors are neglected and become a boring oversight. Even if you decide you aren't a fan of garage door hardware, you should still remove dents, give a coat of paint, or even update the look of the flashing at the bottom of the doors to give them a fresh look.
2) Don't overdo it.
At times you will see too many accessories added to the door. Or, some crazy paint color that's hard not to notice. Stick to maybe one set of higher quality hardware, that won't draw attention away from the path to your front door, and complements your house color.
3) Consider all your existing accent colors.
What color are your light fixtures, house numbers, front door hardware, etc? Make sure your color schemes complement each other, otherwise it will feel mis-matched.
4) Consider the material of your doors.
This is fairly obvious, but not all doors are suited for hardware. The most common garage doors sold on the market are a steel/aluminum blend, which means most garage door hardware will be magnetic for easy install. You may need a custom hardware set, if you have special made doors.
What color garage hardware matches my doors?
You don't have to settle for the boring, common hardware that you see around most neighborhoods. Try a different look!
- Matches best with darker color garage door styles
- Matches with existing dark and black accent pieces
- Let's face it... it matches everything
- This is commonly used to match black or darker accent colors around your home
- Matches most door styles if you like the traditional dark hardware style
- Consider for white, dark gray, and beige garage doors
- This decorative set will match with more subtle color tones, and blend it the best of all colors
- This set is popular for wood doors
- Matches with bronze, or brushed bronze accent pieces
- Consider for brown, wood, white, or beige doors
Decorative garage door hardware is a personal preference at the end of the day- the good news is that it's one of the easy things to change on your home, when you are looking for an easy project, with maximum impact.
Good luck on your next project!